Three persons have been confirmed dead following the collapse of a mining pit in Enyim Agalegu Community, Ikwo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.
The incident occurred on Saturday, February 14, 2026, at a site under the mining lease of First Patriots Limited, formerly known as Royal Salt. Reports indicate that illegal mining activities were ongoing at the time of the collapse.
The National Chairman of Enyim Agalegu Edukwu Opeke Federated Union, Oboke Chukwuma Collins, said he received a distress call around 4 p.m. informing him that the pit had caved in on miners.
According to him, community members were mobilised to the scene, where they removed debris covering the victims. Three lifeless bodies were recovered, while four injured persons were rescued and taken for medical treatment.
Collins noted that the community had previously written to the company and the state Ministry of Solid Minerals, requesting the release of the pit for controlled local mining after the company allegedly completed work at the main site. He described the activities at the collapsed pit as illegal and said earlier efforts to secure approval had been unsuccessful.
He lamented that the latest incident brings the total number of deaths recorded at the site to five.
The Ebonyi State Commissioner for Solid Minerals, Chidi Onyia, who visited the scene, attributed recurring accidents in mining communities to illegal mining driven by economic hardship and the quest for quick financial gain.
He stated that the government was unaware that the site had been abandoned, adding that the land remains under a private mining lease. According to him, the ministry had received correspondence from community leaders last year but lacked the authority to approve local mining at the site.
Onyia described the incident as unfortunate and extended condolences to the families of the deceased. He also cautioned against illegal mining activities, stressing the need to prioritise lives over profit.
The lawmaker representing Ikwo North Constituency in the Ebonyi State House of Assembly, Ifeanyi Nwakpu, confirmed that the three deceased had been deposited in a mortuary, while the four injured victims were receiving treatment. He said it was yet to be determined whether the victims were company workers or artisanal miners.
Nwakpu disclosed that he had previously advised the company to either secure or close the pit if it was no longer in use to prevent further casualties.
Meanwhile, the Chief Security Officer of First Patriots Limited, Eze Stephen, said efforts to prevent illegal mining at the site had been resisted by some youths in the community. He added that attempts to secure the pit were met with opposition, complicating enforcement measures.
Authorities say investigations are ongoing to determine the full circumstances surrounding the collapse and whether additional victims may still be trapped.
