Portuguese defender João Cancelo has officially returned to FC Barcelona on a permanent basis, signing a three-year contract that will keep him at the Catalan club until June 2029.

The 32-year-old completed his return after reaching an agreement to terminate his contract with Saudi Pro League side Al-Hilal, allowing him to join Barcelona as a free agent.

This marks Cancelo’s third spell with Barcelona, having previously represented the club on loan during the 2023/24 season and again during the second half of the 2025/26 campaign.

His first Barcelona spell came under Xavi Hernández, when he joined on loan from Manchester City. He returned to the club last season after moving to Al-Hilal and quickly became an important part of Hansi Flick’s team.

During his Barcelona appearances, Cancelo recorded four goals and five assists in 42 matches and helped the club win the 2025/26 La Liga title.

The Portuguese international made it clear that returning to Barcelona was his preferred destination.

Speaking after arriving in Barcelona earlier this week, Cancelo said he had told sporting director Deco that he would rather return to Barça than spend a year at Al-Hilal without playing. He also revealed that he had accepted a reduction in salary to make the move happen.

The defender was officially presented by Barcelona on Thursday, with the club confirming his permanent return.

At his presentation, Cancelo said he was extremely happy to be back and described playing for Barcelona permanently as a childhood dream.

He also expressed strong ambitions for his new spell, saying Barcelona should be aiming to win major trophies, particularly the UEFA Champions League.

Cancelo’s return adds further experience to Barcelona’s defensive options and gives Flick a player already familiar with his system.

His ability to operate as a full-back on either flank also provides the coach with additional tactical flexibility.

The move is part of an active summer for Barcelona, with the club also completing the signing of Spanish midfielder Rodri from Manchester City.

Cancelo’s arrival is particularly significant because Barcelona were keen to retain a player who had already demonstrated his value during his second spell at the club.

The defender’s decision to prioritise Barcelona also played a major role in the eventual agreement.

Rather than remain at Al-Hilal, where his future had become uncertain, Cancelo pushed for a return to Catalonia.

That decision ultimately resulted in his Saudi club granting him his release and clearing the way for the move to be completed without a transfer fee.

Cancelo now begins his third chapter at Barcelona with a clear objective: help the club compete for major domestic and European honours.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *